Skip to main content

In the beginning...

there was a desire for a large V-Twin.




I began riding motorcycles in my teens, licensed for bike (Class M here in Ontario Canada) years before I began driving cars. Took to a bike immediately. Almost immediately. There was the "finding first" issue. I think maybe one trip over the front handlebars, I would need my friend Sean to confirm. Aside from my introduction to using a clutch I was pretty adept at riding. The strangest things came naturally to me. Nobody had to teach me counter-steering, or to speed up to get out of danger. My first bike was a CX500  Honda. The previous owner had outfitted it with a "Windjammer" frame mounted fairing and saddlebags. The first person I let drive it other than myself dropped it and "PRESTO" no more saddlebags. Imagine the bike below in deep red and that looked a lot like it

When I was 17, I really wanted to take fencing lessons, the instructor had set up shop 40 minutes away - not far from where my father went to work. There was no way I was going to get him to run me out after dinner having just done the trip already - and then pick me up again. I convinced my grandmother to bankroll a bike. When I found the CX 500, the guy I gave the cheque to handed me the keys for the saddlebags attached to a medallion featuring a guy with an foil/epee/saber - I asked what was the medal and he told me that I had just bought the fencing instructor's motorcycle... he had moved to California. FML.

My second bike was a Honda CB900, imagine the bike below as all black and smelling a bit like spilled fuel (carb problem I never got sorted). I loved that beast, slow, heavy, noisy, hard to handle.
It had a Hi/Lo range shifter, making it a de facto 10 speed bike. Downshift a gear and a half and the sound was so horrifying, the traffic would part like the Red Sea.

That was all around 30 years ago, and I got the bug again. HARD. Started looking at Triumph models, then Japanese cruisers and touring bikes. Somehow I stumbled across a Harley Davidson Softail Slim. Love at first sight. I am told that it looks like this:

I was told I might pick it up last Saturday - but, alas, it wasn't to be. For now, this is what my new bike looks like:
I have the jacket, boots, and helmet... just no bike. ETA is two days from now. I already have my route home planned (no highway miles to assist in proper engine & brake wear in). I. am. chomping. at. the. bit.

Even with the wait, at least one of my accessories will still be a few weeks away. This bag:

...but my satchel converts to a backpack so I have enough storage for now. I have no plans of long range touring & from the sounds of the reviews... this isn't the bike to do that on. There are many more comfortable models, this is for wow factor. Low, Dark, Rumbly, & all stripped down (mind you I did get a windshield for longer rides).

So much for my whining. Soon I will not have to watch you tube videos to hear what the 103B (HO) engine sounds like. Wish me luck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

News and notations

First, the good news. You might recall that I had mentioned that I felt I had overspent somewhat on the bike. When I left the dealership I felt as though I was 2 grand poorer than I aught to be. I am no fiscal genius, so I thought I would go over my paperwork and when I came in for my first service, ask the F&I guy at the dealership to go over the bill item by item just to clarify my confusion. Yesterday I get a call from Travis, the Finance and Insurance manager at Freedom Harley - Davidson of Ottawa letting me know that I was due a refund of 2 grand and tax. Such a load off my mind, and off my credit card. No harm, no foul and I was quick to let Travis know that the dealership would be seeing that money back in relatively short order in parts and accessories and servicing... and storage eventually. Maybe this would be a good time for a shout out to the good people at Freedom Harley - Davidson in Ottawa. Mitch (a new addition to their team) was the man who greeted me and event

March, in like a lamb?

I downloaded a countdown app for my iPhone so I could see how long before I get my motorcycle out of storage. The problem is that I don't know when that actually will be. It all depends on the weather. As a result I used the LAST accessible day I can get it out of storage. I think the last allowable day without incurring further storage fees is the following Monday, but May 12th is my birthday and a Saturday making the 150 km trip to the storage facility an interesting birthday present. Two months... how dreadful. Now I know for a fact there are folks on the road a lot sooner than my birthday so this is what has been bouncing around in my head as I grow more desperate to have my bike back. I don't just need warmish weather, I need ALL the salt rinsed off of the roads. The last thing I need is to accelerate any kind of rusting. Snowstorms in early to mid April are not all that uncommon but we have had several mild winters in a row. Apparently springtime is the time for fl

The Screaming Eagle has landed

OK, not a single part on my bike is a Screaming Eagle upgrade, in fact it is bare bones stock because none of the accessories I ordered are in yet. It also seems like I have miscalculated - and the bike is costing a bit more than I had bargained for. Having said that, she's home and she's all mine. For the next 600 km I am still breaking in the engine and am being careful not to bog down, over rev or run at a steady RPM for too long. That will take me half way to the first service when my gear should be ready for installation. Gear includes: Black moustache engine guard, indoor/outdoor bike cover, quick-release windshield, Bluetooth helmet mount microphone & earphones and one or two other doo dads as you needed to have $2000 (and no less) worth of parts and accessories to qualify for $2000 off the bike price. Pretty neat offer.  The drive home was thrilling. I have only ridden this on three occasions, the weekend is busy until Sunday and that looks rainy. unsmili