Skip to main content

Bugs bugs bugs

...and I don't mean any rascally rabbit. Riding without a windscreen, wearing a ½ helmet, bugs are a real issue. I picked three off of my face just from the ride home from the dealership last Thursday. I start looking online for some face covering. I find one with fleece on the inside thinking I would appreciate the cushioning. Of course when I get it in the mail... it is for cold weather use... more surprising, I had pre-loaded my motorcycle jacket with a big bandana. I'm not always on the ball.

I have since invested in an honest to goodness Buff. Having only seen them on the TV show "Survivor" I knew they can be worn many ways. I got the UV protection one so I might use it as headgear once I'm off the bike. I don't have a lot of cargo space so everything I can get to serve more than one function is a blessing.

I went on my first night ride last night. The speedo emits a nice soft amber light and the LCD readout is legible (just - my eyes, not the bike's fault). The headlamp is a surprise. Low beam is more than adequate but the high beam will take some getting used to. I find it hard to put into words - it illuminates everything on both sides really well for a long way down the road. The middle bit is... odd. It seems to somehow flatten objects in the distance directly in front of me to the point where, if something was NOT moving (deer carcass for instance), I might not notice it right away. I will need to take a few more night rides just to get used to the quality of the light. The high beam does however act as a beacon for every flying insect in a two mile radius to attempt suicide on my face. The Buff in "Ninja" mode keeps them out of my ear.

Here I am with my Buff in "Pirate" mode.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5000 km

Just rolled past that milestone while driving by the "Big Stop" Irving gas station on Hwy 17 @ Hwy 41. Speaking of gas... I located a gas station that sells 93 octane gas... first fill up - just before Houston got hit by a tropical storm it was 1.33/L, bumped for the labour day long weekend. 3 days later... $1.43/L - my first $20 fill up (and the low gas light wasn't on yet.) For all of thet the bike just purrs with this fuel in the tank. I did take note of how quickly the tank depletes when one is hammering on the throttle. I think this octane gives the bike a boost. My takeaway lesson this week - Fog = wet. Who knew? Drove into work this morning in pretty thick fog. Serious issues seeing through the windscreen & legs soaked from the knees down. Don't imagine I have many biking days left this year. unsmiley

7500 kms - Autumn

It is October 11th and I have been taking wee runs to say goodbye to some of my favorite backroads. I am so lucky to live in an area with so many routes to choose from. It is a remarkably warm fall so far. The colours are amazing and still hanging on. The smell of burning leaves, fresh turned soil, horses and the heat from my engine. A heady mix. Still getting the odd person openly admiring the bike. Glad I got the one I did. It really is perfect for me. I am getting NO guitar playing or very much video game time as I really am trying to eke out the most kilometers before I have to store the bike until spring. I think the 93 octane gasoline available at the local Stinson's station seems to be a good match for the bike. I notice the already responsive bike is a touch perkier with the 93 in it. The photo is taken on Magnesium Road, Between Mine View Road & Queens Line. The road sign is the road that my wife's grandfather named after her when he built the subdivision. ...

The bike is back from winter storage

I was all geared up to pick up the bike last Saturday but rain and plus 3 degrees celsius convinced me otherwise. I got to pick it up last night. No rain, warm enough, and just enough gas to get me home without the low fuel warning light illuminating. Of course there is NO shortage of rain today, also some planned for Sunday, what will be my first H.O.G. (Harley Owner's Group) get together. When I was in my late teens/early twenties - there was NO weather I wouldn't motorcycle in, including snow. I am much more picky nowadays. I am not keen on rain. So - wish me luck on Sunday. I would really like to putter around on the Quebec side with a bunch of Harley enthusiasts. It sounds like fun, and the breakfast at the river club looks good too. Good food & good company ... all I need is some luck with the weather.  With the recent leap in fuel prices, I don't think I'll have any trouble putting over $20 in the tank. My bike requires premium fuel. We will see just...